After a long day of work and play, it’s nice to have some healthy quick and easy meals ideas on hand. These Mushroom and Leek Pita Pizzas fit that bill quite nicely. Mushrooms and leeks are a delicious combination, and a little garlic and crushed red pepper give this pizza a little pizazz. The whole wheat pitas serve as a sturdy crust. Topped with some low fat ricotta and lots of vegetables, these pitas turned pizzas become a healthy dinner in less than 20 minutes.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup leeks, sliced (approximately 1 leek)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (5 ounces)
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- ¼ cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, for drizzling
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add leeks and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to not over cook garlic). Season with salt and pepper.
- Place pitas on prepared baking sheet. Spreach each pita with 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Bake until pita is golden and cheeses begin to melt, about 6 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Whole Living