When I boldly declared Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins as my favorite muffin of all time, Mike was not surprised in the least. Not only do they have peanut butter, which I love, but they also have brown sugar and buttermilk, two of my favorite baking ingredients. Chocolate chips and chopped peanuts don’t hurt either. 🙂
Today I am sharing with you a muffin recipe that I thought was lost forever. Many years ago, I bought a bag of whole wheat flour, and featured on the back was a recipe for peanut butter muffins. I decided to give the recipe a try and was blown away. The muffins tasted just like a peanut butter sandwich only in muffin form. They were incredible.
Fast forward years later, after many moves, the recipe sadly got lost in the shuffle. Until now! I googled away and found my beloved recipe at A Tasteful Garden. I had all of the ingredients on hand, so immediately got to work.
I decided to swap canola oil for butter and add chopped peanuts on top. I also used mini chocolate chips. I like that with small chips, it seems as though you get more chocolate per bite. As with most quick breads made with whole wheat flour, these muffins are dense and hearty. I find they are best enjoyed with a big glass of milk.
These muffins are even better than I remembered, and now thankfully will never be lost again!
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped peanuts, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin pan with cooking spray or muffin liners. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Cream together the oil and brown sugar. Add the peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrape sides of the bowl often to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Add one-third of the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if using. Bake until golden brown, 22-24 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from King Arthur Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins, found on A Tasteful Garden