An easy recipe for Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles made with whole wheat flour, buttermilk, brown sugar and bursting with fresh blueberries throughout.
With blueberry season upon us, everything is coming up blueberries! From these Blueberry Crumb Bars to this Blueberry Balsamic Salad, nothing beats the delicious taste of our favorite blueberry recipes made with fresh, juicy, perfectly in-season blueberries. With this Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles recipe, we have a new blueberry recipe to add to our list of favorites!
Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles are perfectly crisp, fluffy buttermilk waffles studded with fresh blueberries throughout. The buttermilk and brown sugar are a wonderful combination with blueberries. Not only are these perfection in waffle form, but this waffle recipe takes only minutes to prepare. Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles also freeze well. I often double the recipe to stock our freezer for easy breakfasts throughout the week.
We enjoy these Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles plain or topped with berries. Maple or blueberry syrup would be delicious toppings as well. Sometimes my kids top them with applesauce, but their favorite thing to do is to put one blueberry in each square 🙂
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup oil (I use canola)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, plus additional for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, stirring until just combined. Let mixture sit for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Toss blueberries in 1 teaspoon flour and fold into batter.
- Preheat waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer directions for your waffle iron.
In honor of National Waffle Iron Day on June 29th, the theme for Sunday Supper this week is Waffles, hosted by Sue from A Palatable Pastime. We are kicking of this week with a huge waffle event featuring delicious recipes of all kinds, savory, sweet, breakfast, dessert and everything in between. Get ready to warm up that waffle iron and enjoy the wonderful recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers below.
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement