Poblano Chicken Tostada Salad is a healthy entree salad made with chicken, poblano peppers, onion and spices, served over a bed of salad greens on top of a cheesy, crisp corn tortilla. This is easy to make, great for a weeknight!
This Poblano Chicken Tostada Salad is inspired by the Chopped At Home challenge with Sargento® Cheese.
For this challenge, at-home cooks are asked to get creative in the kitchen with your best dish, that must include the following ingredients:
- Sargento® 4 Cheese Mexican Blend
- Corn tortillas
- Poblano peppers
- Chicken thighs
The dish may contain other ingredients, but the above must be the focus. Needless to say, I was very excited to see the contents of this virtual chopped basket. Creating a Mexican-inspired dish using some of my favorite ingredients would be a fun challenge!
This Poblano Chicken Tostada Salad is a healthy entree salad made with chicken thighs, poblano peppers, onions and seasoning, served over a bed of salad greens, on top of a cheesy, crisp corn tortilla. It is quick and easy to make, perfect for a weeknight or any time you want something delicious, simple and healthy.
To make this Poblano Chicken Tostada Salad, I start by poaching chicken thighs, which is an easy and healthy method to cook chicken. While the chicken is cooking, the rest of the dish can be prepared. The corn tortillas get lightly toasted in the oven, topped with cheese and then baked again until the cheese melts. I used Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend, which is a delicious combination of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero natural cheeses.
Meanwhile saute the onion and poblano pepper, along with garlic and chili powder. Add chicken to this pepper mixture, along with some water, and toss and cook until the water is evaporated. Then simply assemble the salad. The cheesy corn tortilla serves as the base, which is then topped with salad greens, then the chicken and poblano mixture and last any desired toppings (I like to add more cheese!)
What would you make for the Chopped At Home challenge? Submit your recipe to FoodNetwork.com/ChoppedChallenge for the chande to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize. Find out more at the Chopped At Home page, and good luck!
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend, plus additonal for topping
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup water
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ head of romaine lettuce, shredded OR 5 ounces of your favorite mixed greens
- Toppings (optional) tomato, avocado, cilantro, cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- COOK CHICKEN: Place chicken in medium pot, and add enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let chicken stand, covered until cooked through (about 12 to 14 minutes). Remove chicken from liquid and shred with 2 forks.
- Spray corn tortillas with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Baked until golden and crisp (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- While tortillas are in the oven, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the onion and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add chili powder and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add chicken and the water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is warmed through and water has evaporated (about 2 to 3 minutes). Stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and remove from heat.
- After tortillas are toasted, sprinkle each tortilla with ¼ cup cheese and bake until cheese is bubbling (about 2 minutes). Remove from oven.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce and remaining lime juice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to coat and divide evenly among tortillas; top each with chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese, tomatoes, avocado or other desired toppings.
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. Sargento Shredded Cheese ranges in size from $3.25 to $3.95 ounces for a suggested retails price of $2.69 each.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.