Tomato Macaroni and Cheese is a healthier, from-scratch macaroni and cheese recipe with a tomato and herb twist that is easy to make in less than 30 minutes. Thank you to Hunt’s Tomatoes for sponsoring this post.
One of our favorite weeknight dinners, that is especially popular with the kids, is Macaroni and Cheese. I make a healthier version, from scratch, that is delicious on its own but is also very versatile. Using just a few simple ingredients, my simple mac and cheese recipe can be transformed into a whole new dish, like this Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese and this Spinach Macaroni and Cheese. There are so many delicious possibilities! With its simplicity and fresh flavors, this Tomato Macaroni and Cheese recipe may have become our new favorite!
Tomato Macaroni and Cheese is made using a few ingredients that I have on hand at all times – pasta, canned tomatoes, cheese, evaporated milk and an egg. To give it the tomato and herb twist, I look no further than my pantry to find a can of Hunt’s diced tomatoes and Italian herb seasoning. A garlic breadcrumb topping is an optional, but delicious addition. Tomato Macaroni and Cheese then takes 15 minutes to make on the stove top and then bakes for 10 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight, a busy night or any time!
The key to this Tomato Macaroni and Cheese recipe is (of course) the canned diced tomatoes. They are so convenient and tasty that we use them frequently in recipes. So much so that I have started really paying attention to where these canned tomatoes come from. After partnering with Hunt’s tomatoes, I learned that not all canned tomatoes get to the shelf the same way.
Did you know that some companies peel their tomatoes with chemicals like *lye, while Hunt’s peels their tomatoes using FlashSteam, a peeling process that uses steam from simple hot water? There is nothing wrong with *lye but, given a choice, I prefer to serve my family FlashSteamed tomatoes. That’s why when we are in the tomato aisle, my kids help me look for the FlashSteam logo (pictured below) to ensure I am getting tomatoes peeled without chemicals, like those from Hunt’s.
From the tomatoes and the Italian herb seasoning to the classic, creamy cheesy macaroni and cheese, this Tomato Macaroni and Cheese recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni (or any short pasta)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat free evaporated milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Hunt's diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Make breadcrumbs: In a small nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook until toasted. Add garlic and stir for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile in a large sauce pan, cook pasta to al dente according to package directions, drain and put back in the sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Slowly add 1¾ cups cheese and evaporated milk, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Quickly stir in egg.
- Remove from heat and add tomatoes and Italian herb seasoning and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with remaining ¼ cup shredded cheese and prepared breadcrumbs. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hunt’s® tomatoes. *Lye peeling is generally recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes.