An easy recipe for Carrot Cake Waffles studded with fresh carrots, warm cinnamon and raisins throughout and topped with a lighter cream cheese drizzle. Waffles with a carrot cake twist are an instant family favorite!
Carrot Cake Waffles are everything wonderful about carrot cake made into a delicious (and socially acceptable) breakfast. Don’t get me wrong – I have been known to have cake for breakfast (shh…don’t tell my kids!!) But we have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not start with something super tasty made a little healthier, like these Carrot Cake Waffles.
From the abundance of shredded fresh carrots to the raisins, all added to a simple whole wheat buttermilk waffle batter, and then with the lighter cream cheese drizzle, it is no wonder these Carrot Cake Waffles always disappear so quickly. In fact, I have attempted to share this recipe several times over the years, but the waffles have always disappeared before I could get any pictures. While a bummer for the food blogger, I love when that happens because it is a true sign of a successful recipe.
This recipe can be customized to suit your favorite carrot cake preferences, such as substituting nuts for the raisins, or any of your favorite carrot cake additions. Sometimes we top the waffles with the cream cheese drizzle, but most often the kids eat them plain. They are good either way. I now make a double batch to store extra waffles in the freezer, which end up being easy breakfasts for busy mornings!
For another delicious carrot cake-inspired breakfast recipe, try Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- ¾ cups raisins (or nuts)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1-3 tablespoons milk (adjust amounts to desired consistency)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- WAFFLES: In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, vanilla and eggs until combined. Stir in carrots and raisins.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until combined. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat waffle iron. Cook waffles according to the manufacturer directions for your waffle iron.
- CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE: In a small bowl, add cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk, and beat using a hand mixer until smooth. Add more milk, as needed, until desired consistency is achieved.
The theme for Sunday Supper this week is ‘Root Vegetables’ From potatoes and carrots to turnips and rutabagas, there are lots of wonderfully creative recipes this week, all featuring root vegetables. Be sure to check out the recipes from my blogger friends below and enjoy!
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement