For weeknight meals, we often rely on the same rotation of recipes. The recipes are favorites, but it is nice to mix things up a bit. The key is to keep recipes simple, with both preparation and ingredients. This Cheesy Tomato Chicken Rice Bake is a result of this motivation when raiding my pantry for a new weeknight meal.
A combination of Minute® White Rice and cheese (always a popular with the kids) plus diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, chicken and broccoli, made this cheesy Chicken Tomato Chicken Rice Bake an instant favorite with the entire family. Any meal that has my 3 year old asking for ‘more broccoli please’ is a definite winner!
Preparation for Cheesy Tomato Chicken Rice Bake is simple, starting with the quickest step – making the rice. I use Minute® White Rice, which means great-tasting, fluffy white rice in just 5 minutes. It’s easy to prepare and is the foundation to any wholesome meal. Next I poach fresh chicken breast for juicy, easy-to-shred chicken. Rotisserie chicken could be also be used.
Once the rice and chicken are ready, I put them in a bowl to toss with vegetables and cheese. The broccoli adds beautiful color and an extra dose of nutrition, while the diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano adds an Italian twist that brings the entire dish together. After everything is combined, pour the mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle some bonus cheese on top and bake. The result is this wonderful Cheesy Tomato Chicken Rice Bake!
- 1 cup Minute® White Rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 ounces steamed broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- MAKE RICE: Cook rice according to package directions.
- POACH CHICKEN: Meanwhile, put chicken in another sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Carefully remove cooked chicken to a separate bowl and using two forks, shred chicken.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: In a large bowl, combine rice, chicken, broccoli, tomatoes and 1 cup shredded cheese. Pour into prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
In this recipe I used Minute® White Rice. If you like the nutty, rich flavor of brown rice, Minute 100% Whole Grain Brown Rice is also a delicious, nutritious option, as it has similar nutritional values as regular long cooking brown rice, but is ready in just 10 minutes, – ¼ the time!! Both Minute Brown and White Rice are gluten free, too.
For a chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card, tell me in the comments of this post: What is your favorite meal with rice?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 2/1/16 – 4/30/16.