Pasta Pizza Pie puts a fun twist on pizza and pasta, by starting with a pasta “crust” that is topped with sauce, cheese and favorite pizza toppings!
For Sunday Supper this week, we are partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to celebrate National Pizza Month by sharing some pizza-inspired recipes and wine pairings. This is definitely a month long celebration I can get behind! We have pizza at least once a week, sometimes more. Anything pizza is always a winner, and pizza inspires a lot of creativity with recipes!
From Pizza Quinoa Bites to Garlic and Herb Pizza Puffs to Baked Potato Skin Pizzas to Pizza Grilled Cheese, we are often cooking up pizza recipes that are not actually pizza. Today’s recipe is no different! Pasta Pizza Pie combines two Italian favorites (and two of my favorites!) into a delicious pizza-inspired baked pasta.
Pasta Pizza Pie is very easy to make. First, you start by combining pasta and cheese and baking it to make a ‘crust.’ Next spread your favorite pasta sauce over the crust (I use tomato basil) and then sprinkle it with your favorite pizza toppings and cheese. Lots of cheese! Put it back into the oven to bake until the cheese melts and everything comes together. Pasta Pizza Pie is so versatile. With a wide variety of toppings and cheeses, the possibilities are endless.
For wine pairing, you can never go wrong with the Pinot Noir from Gallo Family Vineyards. It has a fruity, classic elegance that balances out well with Pasta Pizza Pie.
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped*
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced *
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 8 ounces (1/2 of a 1 pound box) rotini-shaped pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1½ cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- * substitute with your favorite pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12-inch saute pan or pizza pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last minute, add minced garlic and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir egg, milk, pasta and ½ cup cheese. Spread pasta mixture in prepared pizza pan. Bake this pasta crust for 20 minutes.
- Remove pasta crust from oven and spread sauce over crust. Top with onion-mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Shake crushed red pepper flakes over cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
For our pizza party with Gallo Family Vineyards, the Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing pizza-inspired recipes along with our favorite wine pairings. For a traditional pizza, Pinot Noir is so delicious. For a lighter pizza, or even a dessert pizza, I love their Riesling. Of course Merlot also goes well with pretty much everything. With so many different ways to customize for pizza recipes, there are just as many delicious wine pairings. The key is to experiment and have fun!
Be sure to check out all of the wonderful pizza recipes below.
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Use this Where To Buy Tool to find where to buy Gallo Family Vineyards near you!
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.