An easy recipe for cheesy, vegetable-packed Black Bean Spinach Baked Quesadillas baked right in the oven – no flipping required!
We have a few recipes we make on a regular basis that the kids love (Taco Pasta Salad, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Lighter Baked Tortellini and Stove Top Spinach Mac & Cheese, to name a few). While we keep the ingredients for some (or all) on hand at all times, somehow this past weekend, we discovered our cupboards were bare!
Okay, so the the cupboards were not literally bare. We always have canned beans, tomatoes, corn and other canned fruits and vegetables and basic staples on hand. But we were missing at least one ingredient from each of our favorite standby recipes, so it was time to get creative…and fast!
Fortunately we had tortillas and cheese, so quesadillas were on the menu. I wanted to boost the nutrition beyond just cheese and tortillas. A can of black beans, a can of corn with peppers, some fresh spinach, a little of this, a dash of that, and we had Black Bean Spinach Baked Quesadillas were baking in the oven!
This easy recipe for Black Bean Spinach Baked Quesadillas comes together in minutes. Simple cook the filling, spread the filling over tortillas, sprinkle them with cheese and top with another tortilla. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Just enough time to set the table, prepare any other sides, or accompaniments for the quesadillas, help then kids wash hands,…and then dinner is served!
- 8 8-inch tortillas
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup canned corn (I use Del Monte Southwest Corn with poblano and red peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese (colby jack or cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment papers and set aside.
- In a bowl, roughly mash black beans with a fork.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened (5 to 7 minutes). Stir in corn, chili powder, cumin, and mashed beans and cook until heated through. Add spinach, and cook until wilted. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas on prepared baking sheets. Spread mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortillas get crispy. Let cool for 5 minutes and then cut into wedges.
This easy recipe for Black Bean Spinach Baked Quesadillas is the fifth post in a series of posts for the CansGetYouCooking.com campaign.
- Previously, I shared this quick and easy Mexican Quinoa Skillet recipe, highlighting how canned foods make homemade easy.
- I also shared another family favorite recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, which makes healthy snacking easy any time thanks to a stocked pantry.
- Third, this Peach Buttermilk Bundt Cake made with the convenience of canned peaches is another delicious taste of summer that can be enjoyed year round.
- Canned peaches made another appearance in Overnight Baked Peach French Toast.