Pizza Grilled Cheese combines two classic favorites into a tasty sandwich, with a side of pizza sauce for dipping!
It just so happens that April is National Grilled Cheese month. An entire month devoted to one of the greatest food inventions ever…the grilled cheese sandwich! Whether it is a classic from your childhood or something a bit more gourmet, grilled cheese sandwiches bring people together in a way like no other food. Well, no other foods except perhaps pizza. People are passionate about their grilled cheeses as well as their pizzas. So it is only natural to put the two together and make a Pizza Grilled Cheese sandwich!
This Pizza Grilled Cheese sandwich is packed full of cheese, vegetables and meat, just like a pizza. In fact, for this Pizza Grilled Cheese, I used some of my favorite pizza toppings – sautéed onions, mushrooms and green peppers, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese…plus some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Since this sandwich was so full of goodness, I did not want to lose any of the tasty filling when it was time to flip. I used one of my favorite method of cooking a grilled cheese – baking! When baking a grilled cheese sandwich, not only is there no flipping required, but you can bake several sandwiches at once so everybody eats at the same time! Tomato sauce is served on the side for dipping, which gives the Pizza Grilled Cheese that true pizza flavor.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup finely sliced onion
- ½ cup finely sliced green pepper
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
- 6 slices bread (2 slices per sandwich)
- butter (I use spray)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 to 15 slices pepperoni (4 to 5 per sandwich)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-high in a nonstick skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and green pepper and saute until softened, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Put one slice, butter side down, on prepared baking sheet. Top that slice with sauteed vegetables, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices. Top with another slice, butter side up. Sprinkle top slice with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat.
- Bake in oven for 6 to 9 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Then switch the oven to broil to cook the Parmesan crust (about 1 minute, or until starts to brown (keep an eye on it!)
Whether it is a classic from your childhood or something a bit more gourmet, there are so many creative and fun ideas for making the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
That is one of the many reasons this is one of my favorite Sunday Supper themes…made even better with our partnership with Gallo Family Vineyards. Last year I fell in love with the pairing of their Café Zinfandel with a Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese (and also a Pretzel Grilled Cheese), so I knew it would be the perfect accompaniment with the Pizza Grilled Cheese. I also had the pleasure of trying a new-to-me wine, Gallo’s White Merlot. The White Merlot is a lighter-bodied wine that has a nice fruitiness which provides a nice counterbalance to the savory Pizza Grilled Cheese. (It would also be excellent with Mexican fare).
For more grilled cheese recipes with wine pairings, be sure to visit the delicious recipes by the other Sunday Supper blogger this week…and enjoy!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
For more delicious Gallo Family Vineyards grilled cheese recipes, visit the Gallo Family Vineyards blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Use this Where To Buy Tool to find where to buy Gallo Family Vineyards near you!
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.