When in doubt, add cheese. This so true when it comes to many recipes, like baked chicken, quinoa bites, even scrambled eggs. We always keep of plenty of cheese on hand. No matter the variety, cheese just makes everything extra delicious! So when my family was craving cornbread (Rosemary Cornbread to be specific) and our rosemary plant happens to be currently buried under snow outside on the deck,…it was time to come up with something new. After using the Rosemary Cornbread recipe as a starting point, and of course adding cheese and other tasty goodness, I present to you an easy recipe for Garlic Cheddar Cornbread Muffins!
Garlic Cheddar Cornbread Muffins start with a simple buttermilk cornbread muffin base. Next I added cheddar cheese (I used Crystal Farms Wisconsin Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese), both to the batter and sprinkled on top before baking. I added garlic (sauteed or garlic powder work fine) and a sprinkle of dried herbs for flavoring. There was a perfect balance of flavors, with the garlic and cheddar flavors coming together perfectly.
While at first Adam was skeptical of this new variation (you know…change for a 5 year old), I can not recall the last time a batch of muffins disappeared so quickly! Nor can I recall a time when he ate his vegetables so quickly…in hope of getting more Garlic Cheddar Cornbread Muffins, of course! 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1-2 garlic cloves, minced and sauteed)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (I use Italian Herb Seasoning)
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, garlic and herbs. Add 1 cup cheese, tossing to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and butter until combined. Gradually add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, folding until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the tops of the batter. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Since 1926, Crystal Farms has been committed to providing the highest quality products to their customers! They are one of the largest cheese brands in the country, delivering consistent quality and great tasting products that are a rich source of calcium, located in the refrigerated dairy section and lactose tolerant. Their products include eggs, English muffins and bagels, butters and spreads, whipped cream, and a wide variety of cheeses.