Mom’s Lasagna is my mom’s prized lasagna recipe! It is a classic lasagna made with three cheeses and a simple sauce made with ground beef. Perfect for a holiday meal, potluck or any time you want an impressive meal made easy!
When it comes to making holiday meals, or any meal for company, lasagna is one of my favorites. Lasagna is one of those reliable dishes to serve at a potluck, or any family dinner, because it makes plenty and everybody loves it! Plus it is easy to make ahead of time, which is a huge timesaver when preparing for special meal or party.
Mom’s Lasagna is my mom’s prized lasagna recipe. Some might call it a traditional lasagna made with layers of noodles, cheeses and a meat sauce. Today I’m calling it ‘Mom’s Lasagna’ but my family typically calls it ‘Meat Lasagna’ because of the ground beef in the sauce (pretty creative, eh?). My mom makes it once a year (for Christmas), brings it over to my house for our holiday meal, and the entire family looks forward to it!
The best thing about Mom’s Lasagna is that while it tastes amazing, it is very simple to make. First brown the ground beef. Then add minced garlic, seasonings, and tomatoes, and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile you can cook the noodles, shred the cheese, sip a glass of wine or finish any other meal preparation that needs to get done. Once the sauce is done, you can assemble by layering the noodles, sauce and cheeses. The lasagna can be baked right away or store in the refrigerator (or freezer) until later.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (9 noodles, 3 per layer)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- First make sauce: In a large skillet, brown beef. Add garlic, pepper, and spaghetti sauce mix. Stir in tomatoes (including juices) and tomato sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. If baking now, preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour ½ cup sauce into prepared baking dish. Place 3 noodles on top of sauce in pan. Next add layers sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese and then top with 3 more noodles. Repeat with remaining ingredients. (See Note)
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350F degrees, or until cheese is bubbling and starts turning golden. (If baking from refrigerated, add 10 to 15 minutes to the baking time)
Today we are celebrating beef for Sunday Supper. We are joining The Beef Checkoff to showcase the easy side of entertaining with impressive, crowd-pleasing recipes including beef! Mom’s Lasagna could not be any easier and is loved by all! Mom’s Lasagna would be a great dish to bring to a potluck when you’re looking for something easy, impressive and makes plenty to serve a crowd.
For more delicious recipes featuring beef that are perfect for Potlucks, Appetizers, Brunch/Breakfast, or Main Dishes, be sure to visit the wonderful recipes by my blogger friends below.
For these recipes and more, be sure to follow our Beef – Let’s Celebrate Pinterest Board!
- Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon by MealDiva
- Chipotle Beef Taco Bites by Feed Me, Seymour
- Mini Beef Wellingtons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Pepper Steak in Wonton Cups by Flavor Mosaic
- Philly Cheesesteak Dip by Life Tastes Good
Brunch or Breakfast for a Crowd
- Beef Sausage, Egg and Cheese Roll Ups by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beef Tenderloin Benedict by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Fried Steak by kimchi MOM
- Potato Pancakes with Filet Mignon and Fried Eggs by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steak and Egg Breakfast Braid by Curious Cuisiniere
- Awesome Avocado Steak Tacos by Cooking Chat
- Beef Tenderloin with Gorgonzola Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cider Beef Stew by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak & Mushroom Pie by The Messy Baker
- Beef and Bean Enchilada Bake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Braised Beef Ravioli by Family Foodie
- Mom’s Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs by Casa de Crews
- Skillet Steak Fajitas by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff. All opinions are my own.