Marshmallow Popcorn Bars are a salty, sweet, chocolate and minty combination that are easy to make. They will make a fun addition to your holiday treat platter this year!
When it comes to movie theater snacks, everybody has their favorites. One of my friends favorite snacks is an interesting concoction. She dumps a box of mint-filled chocolate candies into a warm bucket of popcorn and lets it get all melty, gooey good. It seemed like such an unusual combination at the time, but these days flavored popcorn has become so popular! With holiday baking in full force, I was inspired to transform this favorite snack into a treat fit for the holidays. Marshmallow Popcorn Bars are salty, sweet, chocolate, mint and super tasty!
Marshmallow Popcorn Bars are a cross between a marshmallow crispy bar and a popcorn ball, with delicious mint-filled baking morsels studded throughout. I used the new Nestle® Toll House® Delightfulls™ Filled Baking Morsels, and they are awesome! There are four flavors to choose from (Mint, Caramel, Cherry and Peanut Butter).
I thought the mint in this recipe was fun and festive for the holidays, but any of the flavors would be delicious. DelightFulls Filled Baking Morsels also bake up beautifully in other holiday treats. I added them to this brownie recipe, and they were amazing. One of our holiday staples – my grandma’s caramel bars – is getting an upgrade this year with the Caramel Filled Baking Morsels (that was Mike’s idea!)
There are so many delicious possibilities with the DelightFulls Filled Baking Morsels, I almost forgot why we were here…Marshmallow Popcorn Bars, of course! These bars are something a little fun and different for the holiday platter and are very simple to make. However if you have ever made marshmallow crispy bars before, you know timing is everything (and becoming a sticky mess is inevitable). When melting the butter and marshmallow, low and slow is key. Once it is time to stir in the popcorn into the mixture, it is important to work quickly before it gets too hard. When it comes time to put the mixture into the baking dish, I press the mixture into the pan using waxed paper coated with cooking spray, and it works like a charm!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallow
- 4 to 5 cups popped popcorn
- Sea salt
- ½ cup Nestlé® Toll House® Mint DelightFulls™ Filled Baking Morsels
- Cooking spray
- Spray 13x9-inch pan (glass or metal) with cooking spray.
- In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Once butter is melted, add marshmallows, stirring frequently until marshmallows are melted and combined with the butter.
- Working quickly, stir in the popcorn (adding by the cup-full).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down into the pan. (Note: for a less sticky mess, I use waxed paper to press the mixture into the pan)
- Sprinkle top of popcorn mixture with baking morsels and sea salt (to taste). Let sit for at least 30 minutes (to overnight) before cutting into bars.
The same NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® chocolate you know and love now filled with rich caramel, peanut butter, mint, and cherry flavored filling. Add these new filled baking morsels to your favorite recipes for a special twist on the classic, or try experimenting with them in a recipe you’ve never tried before!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®. The opinions and text are all mine.