An easy recipe for Skinny Fried Chicken that is baked, not fried. The result is a flavorful, moist and crispy chicken that will have your family running back around the table!
Baked chicken dishes are one of my favorite recipes to make because they are typically quick and easy, healthier and perfect for a weeknight. So when I received a copy of Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook from QVC’s Resident Foodie David Venable, his recipe for Skinny Fried Chicken recipe was right up my alley. This Skinny Fried Chicken is baked, not fried, is easy to make and tastes incredible!
To make this Skinny Fried Chicken, I do most of the prep work the night before by getting the chicken marinated and measuring out the coating. The chicken marinates overnight in a simple buttermilk and hot sauce mixture. Then when it is time to bake, simply dredge the chicken in flour, dip it back in the buttermilk mixture and then coat in a spicy cornflake coating and bake. The result is a flavorful “fried” chicken with less fat and fewer calories, is crispy and has a little spicy kick to it. This Skinny Fried Chicken recipe gets my whole family excited to get back around the table for dinner!
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thick
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups cornflake crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable bag with the buttermilk and hot sauce. Close bag and shake until chicken pieces are fully coated. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees and position rack in the center of the oven. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray and place it on a baking sheet (or in a roasting pan).
- Place flour in a low bowl. Pour buttermilk marinade into another low bowl. In a third bowl, mix the cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and poultry seasoning, until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Dredge each chicken breast with flour until fully coated, shaking off any excess. Then coat the chicken in the marinade, followed by a dredging in the cornflake mixture.
- Arrange chicken on the prepared wire rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F degrees and bake until cooked through and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes.
The Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook has a wonderful variety of recipes from this Skinny Fried Chicken to Banana-Peanut Butter French Toast to Mac ‘n’ Cheese Bites to Individual Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan. It features more than 100 brand new recipes as well as 30 fan favorites, that highlight David’s inventive spin on traditional comfort food. There are recipes designed for your pressure cooker, your slow cooker and even a special holiday chapter that is only available in cookbooks purchased from QVC, you are sure to find something that fits your lifestyle and gathers everyone back around the table.
I have several recipes from this cookbook my to-make list, with the Angel Food Cake with Berries and Chicken Quinoa Soup at the top of the list, and that is just to start. If you are looking for a holiday gift for your own resident foodie, I highly recommend this book.
If you think your family will enjoy this recipe, be sure to visit qvc.co/AroundtheTableCookbook to learn more about and purchase Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. Filled with 156 great recipes like this, you’re sure to find something that fits your lifestyle and gathers everyone back around the table!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of QVC. The opinions and text are all mine.