For a healthier twist on a holiday classic favorite, try this easy recipe for a Cheesy Green Bean Casserole that is creamy, cheesy, made with Greek yogurt and without soup. Thank you to Del Monte (through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select) for sponsoring this post!
Now that it is November, we are eagerly planning our holiday menus. When planning side dishes, one dish that almost always appears at every family holiday gathering is Green Bean Casserole. It is the same, traditional recipe that everybody makes. However, in preparation for this year, I decided to give Green Bean Casserole a healthier, tastier makeover. This result is a Cheesy Green Bean Casserole that is a huge crowd pleaser for the whole family!
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is very easy to make, all from scratch (no soup required for this recipe!) First melt some butter in a nonstick pan (I use light butter, but regular works too). Then stir in flour until thickened. Next add some onion, garlic and crushed red pepper (which is an optional, but awesome addition!) In lieu of soup or sour cream, I used nonfat Greek yogurt, which offers a wonderful creamy texture with a protein boost and without any added fat. Then stir in drained, canned green beans. In this recipe, I used Del Monte canned green beans (French style variety), which is such an easy, quick substitute that complements the delicious flavors in the casserole beautifully.
Pour the mixture into a baking dish and cover with cheese and then a cracker crumb topping. Bake until bubbly and then watch out! When your family smells this Cheesy Green Bean Casserole baking in the oven, they will come running from all over the house! Perfect for Thanksgiving, or any holiday meal, Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is sure to be a hit with your family and become a wonderful tradition for years to come!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans green beans (I used Del Monte French style green beans)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup buttery round cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth (about 1 minute). Add salt and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Stir in Greek yogurt. Add green beans and stir to coat.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- In a small dish, combine cracker crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over cheese on the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
Visit POPSUGAR for more Thanksgiving Tips from Del Monte for Holiday Entertaining Made Easy.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Del Monte through their partnership through POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Del Monte, all opinions are my own.