Enjoy the taste of summer with this light, refreshing Caprese Pasta Salad. Made with garden fresh tomatoes and basil, mozzarella cheese and a bonus protein boost from chickpeas, it is quick, simple, delicious – and perfect for a weekday supper!
Over the past month, our herb garden has grown and flourished. I usually have to plant two basil plants, but this year our basil is towering above the rest. Never at a loss for recipes using fresh basil, this Caprese Pasta Salad recipe is one of our favorite summertime weeknight dinners!
It is a nice, easy recipe to use up your garden tomatoes and fresh basil. The tomato, basil and mozzarella combination is a simple, classic that never disappoints. By adding pasta and chickpeas, and tossing it all in a light balsamic vinaigrette, in minutes the popular Caprese salad is turned into a meal that is light, easy and healthy too! Caprese Pasta Salad can be enjoyed warm or chilled, and leftovers make for great lunches.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 12 ounces pasta (any shape short pasta, any flavor)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic and basil. Add tomatoes and mozzarella and toss until combined. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, according to package instructions. Add chickpeas to pot for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve ½ cup pasta water. Drain pasta mixture and return to pot.
- Add tomato mixture to pasta. Toss, adding reserved pasta water a little at a time to create a thin sauce to coat the pasta (you may not need all of the water).
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired and toss to combined. Serve, garnished with basil leaves, if desired.
The theme for Weekday Supper this past month has been ‘Recipes from the Garden’ as part of the #ChooseDreams campaign with American Family Insurance. As always, the Weekday Supper recipes are quick and easy meals made in about 30 minutes using ingredients easily found in grocery stores….only this time we are featuring delicious, garden fresh recipes. This week’s Weekday Supper meals can be found on their corresponding day on the websites below. Enjoy!
- Monday – Summer Squash Pizza by Supper for a Steal
- Tuesday – Tuna, Tomato, Bean and Basil Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Wednesday – Pesto Pasta Salad by Country Girl In The Village
- Thursday – Caprese Salad with Chicken by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Friday – Caprese Pasta Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
For these recipes and more, be sure to follow the Recipes from the Garden #ChooseDreams Pinterest board.
This post is sponsored by the American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.