Cornbread made with buttermilk is given a sophisticated twist with fresh rosemary in this Rosemary Cornbread. This recipe is lightened up and always a favorite!
A couple weeks ago, my family paid a visit to the local nursery to pick up some herbs to plant in a container garden on our deck. The deck is just off the kitchen, and walking out the patio door to pick fresh herbs for my recipes is one of the many things I look forward to each spring. I’m not the only one who looks forward to ‘herb season.’ Adam not only loves the recipes, but he loves to care for the herbs too! Ever since he could walk, he has helped watering. Now with a few years of experience under his 4 year old belt, he has taken over (most) responsibility and really does a great job!
This year, we got him involved in the actual planting of the herbs. He loved digging in the dirt, putting the plants in ‘just right’ and then getting to water them. We also added tomatoes to our container garden as a fun activity for Adam to watch them progress throughout the summer (plus I have lots of great ideas for those tomatoes!) Stay tuned for plant updates as well as the tasty recipes later in the season!
To be honest, one of the reasons I love having an herb garden is for this Rosemary Cornbread recipe. It is always the first recipe I make each spring using fresh rosemary from our container garden. Immediately after the herbs are planted, I envision warm loaves of Rosemary Cornbread. Fortunately it takes minutes to make and then while it bakes in the oven, the house smells incredible!
Rosemary Cornbread has a classic cornbread texture and flavor, with a sophisticated twist of rosemary. The fresh rosemary not only gives this bread an amazing flavor, but the little flecks of rosemary in each slice are just beautiful. I lightened up the original recipe by reducing the oil, increasing the buttermilk and reducing the sugar. The result is a delicious bread that is versatile enough to complement any meal.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespooon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking pan(s) with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in rosemary.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk and oil until combined. Add flour mixture in two batches; fold until just combined.
- Divide batter between 3 mini loaf pans, or 1 standard loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes for mini loaves, 30 minutes for standard loaf. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to wire rack to cool completely.
While the Rosemary Cornbread recipe is not new to the blog, the recipe has been refined along with new photos. Since this is the first recipe I make each year using fresh herbs from the garden, it seemed fitting to share for Sunday Supper this week. We are partnering with American Family Insurance and the theme is Recipes from the Garden. Each blogger is sharing inspiration and recipes using foods from the garden, and they all look fabulous!
For these recipes and more, be sure to follow the Recipes from the Garden #ChooseDreams Pinterest board. Enjoy!
- 3 Cheese Naan Pizza with Sausage, Mushrooms, and Arugula by Neighborfood
- Asparagus Penne with Bacon Cream Sauce by Country Girl In The Village
- Basil, Honey and Walnut Gelato by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chimichurri Skirt Steak by Magnolia Days
- Garden Foccacia by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Greek Stuffed Tomato by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Grilled Shrimp with Grilled Sweet Peppers by Daily Dish Recipes
- Herbed Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- Individual Indian Corn Pudding Souffles by Delaware Girl Eats
- Lemon Herb Slow Cooker Roast Chicken by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quinoa Tabbouleh by Supper for a Steal
- Rosemary and Lemon Chicken Thighs with Asparagus by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Rosemary Cornbread by Alida’s Kitchen
- Salmon Peppers and Onions by Family Foodie
- Spinach Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Basil Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Summer Pasta Puttanesca by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Summer Vegetable Lasagna by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tortellini with Garden Fresh Pesto by The Foodie Army Wife
- White Bean Cilantro Chopped Vegetable Salad by Shockingly Delicious
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.