Kick off the unofficial start to summer with a fun twist on a classic summer staple with this Kale and Apple Potato Salad! Thank you to MIRACLE WHIP (through the Mom It Forward Blogger Network) for sponsoring this post.
With the school year coming to an end and Memorial Day just around the corner, let the unofficial start of summer begin! I used to think of summer as a time to relax, but our summer schedule is packed with camps, classes and potluck parties. I always like to bring something special to potlucks (in addition to a dessert of course!) but often don’t have a ton of time to spend on it. That’s where this Kale and Apple Potato Salad comes to the rescue!
Kale and Apple Potato Salad puts a unique and delicious twist on a summer staple. The addition of kale and apples, as well as the creamy blend of sweet and tangy MIRACLE WHIP Dressing, results in a bold and flavorful potato salad that is sure to be a hit at any backyard barbecue this summer. Preparation is a snap, and this Kale and Apple Potato Salad can be put together in about 20 minutes.
First start by boiling the potatoes. Red potatoes are great for potato salad because their waxy texture helps them retain their shape after cooking. It is still important to be careful not to overcook them- boil until they are just tender when pierced with a fork. Then let the potatoes cool completely. Meanwhile, dice the apples (whatever kind you like!), chop the kale, and whisk together the dressing. Once the potatoes are cooled, simply mix everything together and chill.
Serve this Kale and Apple Potato Salad at your next party and everybody will be asking for the recipe!
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into quarters
- ¾ cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- Put potatoes in a large pot and add water just to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 8 minutes (Check the potatoes with a fork for tenderness). Drain in a colander and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the MIRACLE WHIP dressing, mustard and cider vinegar.
- Put cooled potatoes, kale, onion and apple in a large serving bowl. Add dressing and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until chilled.
Recipe Source: MIRACLE WHIP