Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese is a simple grilled cheese sandwich sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and then baked to crunchy, melty, cheesy perfection.
After many experiments (and many nights in a row) of making grilled cheese sandwiches, I developed an appreciation for the art of the baked grilled cheese. In fact, it has revolutionized my grilled cheese making endeavors – so much so that I may never use a skillet again! The key to what makes this sandwich amazing is the Parmesan cheese topping that encrusts the bread when it bakes. Parmesan cheese brings out the amazing flavors in the grilled cheese sandwich (kind of like salt when cooking or baking – inexplicable, but necessary).
Parmesan crust aside, I love a baked grilled cheese for several reasons. Since the sandwich is baked and not fried, less butter is used and therefore it is less greasy. No flipping is required, so the filling stays intact and inside the sandwich. The sandwiches are assembled and placed on a cookie sheet, which means multiple sandwiches can be made and everybody gets a hot sandwich at the same time! (Great for parties!)
For this Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese, I went simple. I used good quality whole wheat bread, slices of sharp cheddar cheese, a little butter spray and then sprinkled the tops with fresh Parmesan cheese. You can easily substitute your favorite bread or melty cheese and also add your favorite vegetables and/or meats. Then put it in the oven, pour yourself a glass of wine, dish up a salad, set the table, and dinner is served!
This week, the Sunday Supper group is teaming up with Gallo Family Vineyards to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month. We are creating grilled cheese recipes and are then either pairing them with a Gallo Family Vineyards wine or using the wine in the recipe (or both!) I paired the Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese with the Café Zinfandel wine. At first I was intrigued by this wine because it is made to be a refreshing, smoother and lighter style wine than a traditional Zinfandel. When I read that it is a great complement to picnic fare, the Café Zinfandel seemed to be a great fit for the Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese. There is no wine more perfect – they were absolutely delicious together!
- 2 slices bread
- cheese slices
- butter (I use spray butter)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (per sandwich)
- Optional: add your favorite meats, vegetables and/or spreads
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Put one slice, butter side down, on prepared baking sheet. Top that slice with cheese and any other fillings you might want to add. Top with another slice, butter side up. Sprinkle top slice with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in oven for 6 to 9 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Then switch the oven to broil to cook the Parmesan crust.
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.