Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies are the ultimate chewy sugar cookie with a lemon twist. These are a perfect Springtime treat to welcome the season!
While it may technically be spring, Minnesota temperatures remain chilly (think single digits, brr!) It is this time of year, the transition from winter to spring, that lemon desserts are wonderful. Berries are not quite in season, and lemon is like a bite of sunshine, all bright and cheery. Add lemon to the ultimate chewy sugar cookie, and it’s Springtime perfection in cookie form.
For these Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies, I started with everybody’s favorite Chewy Sugar Cookie recipe. I have made variations of this recipe in the past, and it makes such a great base recipe. I love the slight tang the cream cheese adds to this sugar cookie and the chewiness is hard to beat. So to make this lemon version, I simply added some lemon zest and juice and then crossed my fingers that it wouldn’t impact the consistency of the cookie. I dare say the lemon version is even better than the original! There is just the right amount of lemon flavor without overpowering, and the texture is also better, which I did not think was possible. Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies truly are the ultimate chewy sugar cookie made better with a lemon twist!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar, plus ⅓ cup for rolling
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 12 pieces (I used ⅓ less fat cream cheese)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and hot
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk (I used skim)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place ⅓ cup sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside (this will be used for rolling).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix 1½ cups sugar and lemon zest. Add cream cheese cubes. Pour butter over sugar and cream cheese and whisk to combine (some small lumps may remain). Whisk in oil until incorporated. Add egg, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. By hand, roll each piece of dough into a ball and then roll in reserved sugar to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet (12 balls per sheet). Using bottom of drinking glass, flatten balls slightly until each is 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle sugar over tops of cookies (and/or colorful sprinkles if desired)
- Bake 1 tray at a time until edges are set and beginning to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes [Note: To ensure a chewy cookie, be sure not to over bake!]. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This week Sunday Supper is teaming up with Dixie Crystals to share Springtime Sweets. The group is sharing delicious recipes for goodies that use at least 1 teaspoon sugar. Easy enough! There is definitely a treat to please everyone this week, so be sure to check out all the tasty recipes!
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.