Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast is made with custard soaked French bread cubes and studded with juicy fresh blueberries and cream cheese throughout. This dish is perfect for brunch, but I love it for breakfast for dinner because it is so easy. It takes minutes to prepare, can be made ahead, and then just bake in the oven until golden and delicious. The result is decadent, yet made on the lighter side using a ‘secret’ ingredient.
The secret ingredient in this Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast is fat free evaporated milk! It is used in place of half & half (or heavy cream) and adds a rich creaminess without the added fat and calories. I have used evaporated milk to lighten up several other dishes, including Cajun Chicken Pasta, Lighter Mac & Cheese, and Apricot White Chocolate Scones, to name a few. It’s just one of those little kitchen tricks that I have found works really well to lighten up dishes without sacrificing taste.
Speaking of taste, after preparing this beautiful Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast for dinner, we needed to find the perfect wine pairing to go with it. After receiving the latest wine package from Gallo Family Vineyards, I was excited to see the Merlot (a favorite) and the Sweet White Wine Blend (a new to me wine!) When I read the Sweet White Wine Blend pairs well with fresh fruit, salad and most brunch fare, it was as though the wine was created specifically for our baked French toast breakfast for dinner! The Sweet White Wine Blend is bright and cheery, with flavors of tropical fruit, peach and honeydew throughout. While I normally gravitate to red wine, this Sweet White Wine Blend has instantly become a new household favorite!
- 1 pound loaf of French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) packages light cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 2 (12 ounce) cans fat free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Cooking spray
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add ½ bread cubes to dish. Sprinkle with half of the cream cheese cubes and blueberries. Top with remaining bread cubes, cream cheese and blueberries.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, vanilla and syrup. Pour over bread cubes, making sure everything gets well coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- BAKE: Remove baking dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover dish with nonstick foil (or spray foil with cooking spray) and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through and starts to brown. Serve warm.
- Crepes with Sweet Wine Poached Berries by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sangria Stuffed French Toast by Melanie Makes
Mains and Sides:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Chicken Spinach and White Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Beef Braciole with Parmesan and Prosciutto by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Beef Daube by The Foodie Army Wife
- Chicken and Couscous Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Sausage and Mushroom Skillet over Goat Cheese Grits by Neighborfood
- Giambotta an Italian Veggie Stew by Country Girl In The Village
- Grilled Pepperoni Pizza by Ruffles & Truffles
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Thighs by Hip Foodie Mom
- Short Rib Ragu with Rigatoni by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spaghetti All’Ubriaco by kimchi MOM
- Tarragon Chicken by girlichef
- World’s Best Turkey Meatballs by Shockingly Delicious
Beverages and Desserts:
- Tropical Breezes Sangria by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon on a Cloud by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Merlot Cherry Cupcakes with Sweet White Frosting by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.