Burgundy Porcini Risotto is a rich, cheesy risotto made with porcini mushrooms and red wine. While risotto may seem intimidating, it truly is very easy to make and definitely something worth trying.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy via the Mom It Forward Blogger Network. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
One of the key components of risotto is wine. People always say the wine you use to cook should be a wine you enjoy to drink. I typically make risotto with white wine, but generally prefer to drink red wine over white. So I decided to experiment and take one of our favorite risotto recipes and use one of my favorite red wines – Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy. The Hearty Burgundy is a bold, flavorful wine that goes beautifully with the Parmesan cheese, mascarpone cheese, and porcini mushrooms in this dish. I decided to leave out the spinach from the original recipe, because I really wanted the red wine to shine through. The result was an amazing, cheesy, earthy risotto with the rich flavors from the Hearty Burgundy harmonizing with each bite.
- 1½ cups boiling water
- ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 14 ounces vegetable broth
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- ¾ cup chopped shallots (I used 2)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine boiling water and mushrooms and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain through colander over a bowl, reserving the mushroom soaking liquid. Chop mushrooms.
- In a small sauce pan, bring soaking liquid and broth to a simmer (do not boil). Keep mixture warm over low heat.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add rice, shallots and garlic and saute until rice gets browned and toasted (about 5 minutes).
- Add wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 cup broth mixture to rice mixture and cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining broth mixture ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently, until each portion is absorbed before adding the next.
- Remove pan from heat. Add mushroom, cheeses and oregano and stir until combined and cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Gallo Family Vineyard’s Hearty Burgundy wine, America’s first truly iconic blend. To celebrate, Gallo has produced a limited edition bottle with a similar flavor profile to the original blend, with a blend of dark berry and plum flavors with subtle hints of oak. In addition, the limited edition bottle will feature a special golden label to commemorate the 50th anniversary and bear a 50th anniversary seal.
Disclosure: While I have been compensated by Gallo Family Vineyards:Hearty Burgundy through the Mom It Forward Blogger Network for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own.