Lentil Tacos are a hearty, vegan dish made a little spicy and a lot delicious. Even meat lovers will enjoy these high-protein, fiber-rich, vegetable-packed meatless tacos!
Lentils are one of my favorite ingredients to use in healthy, meatless recipes. They are high in protein, fiber and are so versatile. Lentils are quick cooking, which makes them excellent for weeknight meals. We enjoy them in salads, pasta sauce, and here as Lentil Tacos.
Lentil Tacos are very simple to make. First saute the onion and garlic. Then add lentils, seasonings and broth. Cook the lentils in the broth until tender (about 20 minutes) and then stir in tomatoes and salsa. The result is flavorful taco ‘meat’ ready to be served with your favorite toppings. These Lentil Tacos are also gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
- ½ cup salsa, plus additional for topping
- 12 taco shells
- Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened (5 to 7 minutes). Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Stir in lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the broth has evaporated and the lentils are tender.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. Stir in tomatoes and salsa.
- Pour lentil mixture into each taco shell and top with your favorite toppings.
Source: Taste of Home
Lentil Tacos are a wonderful, healthy supper made in a little over 30 minutes. Since a majority of the cooking is hands off, I thought it would be perfect for share for today’s Weekday Supper. While the tacos are cooking you can finish dinner, or whatever else needs to be done around the house.
The idea behind Weekday Supper is that Sunday Supper starts as just one day a week…and soon becomes a way of life. Each week day, one blogger from the group shares a recipe for quick and easy meals easily found in a grocery store. For more delicious Weekday Supper inspiration, be sure to check out the links below:
Monday – Momma’s Meals – Honey Garlic Chicken
Tuesday – Shockingly Delicious – Shortcut Lentil Pasta Sauce
Wednesday – Family Foodie – Broccoli and Ricotta Puffs
Thursday – That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Pork Tenderloin with Maple Balsamic Glaze
Friday – Alida’s Kitchen – Lentil Tacos