Spinach Lasagna Cups are tasty, little bite-sized lasagnas filled with three cheeses, spinach and a tomato-basil sauce. Baked in a muffin tin, these mini lasagnas are a fun appetizer, great for parties, or even just a light meal.
This week Sunday Supper partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards to share recipes and wine pairings for Game Day Entertaining. Today everybody is sharing a game day recipe and pairing it with one of Gallo Family Vineyards wines. The wine I selected was Merlot, and to my surprise, Gallo included a Pink Moscato in the package. That was a very nice treat!
When coming up with a game day recipe, Spinach Lasagna Cups immediately came to mind. Anything made in a muffin tin is always very popular, so these would be perfect! I envisioned a bite-sized lasagna filled with tomato sauce, three cheeses, spinach and layered using wonton wrappers in place of noodles. I have seen similar ‘lasagna cupcake’ recipes all over the web, but there were many so inconsistencies from recipe to recipe, I decided to come up with my own. The result was everything delicious and cheesy about lasagna in a portion-controlled, easy to serve cupcake.
While I made a vegetarian Spinach Lasagna Cups you can easily make it your own by substituting your favorite vegetables, meats or cheeses. This recipe is great for entertaining because there is a lot of flexibility to get creative and to customize it to your guests’ preferences. The filling can be prepared ahead of time, which is always a plus when it comes to party planning. No matter what variety you make, Lasagna Cups are a hit at any party and will disappear quickly!
When deciding what wine to pair with these Spinach Lasagna Cups, the choice was easy. Merlot is one of my favorite wines to have on hand for entertaining because it is so versatile and goes well with a wide variety of foods. The Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot is rich, smooth and flavorful. The blended flavors of black cherry, ripe plum and hints of oak are simply delicious. This wine complemented the Spinach Lasagna Cups absolutely perfectly and would be a delightful pairing with many other foods on my game day menu. Not only does it pair well with tomato-based pasta dishes, but Merlot goes well with chicken, grilled meats and vegetables and more!
Wondering what wines to pair with your game day menu? Let the Gallo Family Vineyards’ Food & Wine Pairing Tool help you decide. Then use the store locator to find where to buy Gallo Family Vineyards wines near you.
Ingredients Instructions Notes Recommended wine pairing: Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot is excellent with this dish!
Recommended wine pairing: Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot is excellent with this dish!
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.