M&M Chocolate Cookie Cups are a chewy, chocolate cookie studded with chocolate chips that is baked into a cookie cup and then topped with your favorite M&M candies. These are always very popular!
‘Tis the season to be busy in the kitchen! We have been busy baking cookies, baking with chocolate, baking something new almost every day it seems. While it is easy to get caught up in making the latest cookie stuffed in a cookie or some otherwise intricate dessert, I always like to have some easy, tasty recipes that are sure to be a hit at any party.
One day while I was waiting in line to check out at Walmart, I was trying to come up with an easy treat recipe. Then a bag of plain M&Ms caught my eye, just innocently sitting there. I thought about how good green M&Ms are (totally better than the others, am I right?) and how bright and cheery M&M desserts always looks, especially with chocolate. It just kind of snowballed from there into these M&M Chocolate Cookie Cups.
Also inspired by my Pudding Cookie Cups recipe, this time I decided to make my own cookie dough. I started with a basic chocolate cookie dough, and used semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of white chocolate chips. Then roll and bake the dough the same way as the Pudding Cookie Cups, and it works really well. After the cups cool, simply fill them with M&Ms, and you have a bright, colorful, chocolaty treat. The cookie cups have a deep well, which is perfect for filling with lots of M&Ms, but you could also add a little frosting or pudding to help the candies stay in place.
M&M Chocolate Cookie Cups are simple to make and always very popular, making them perfect for work parties, class parties or any celebration where you want something delicious, colorful and fun!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- M&M candies (plain or peanut)
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl with a mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 12-cup mini muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside. [Note: Since I only have 2 12-cup mini muffin tins, I typically either bake them in 2 batches or else make half the recipe].
- Divide cookie dough into 48 portions, and roll into balls. Place each ball into prepared mini-muffin tin. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit in pan to cool for 2 minutes. [Note: cups will form a natural indentation once removed from the oven] Carefully ease cookie cups out of pan using a knife and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill cooled cookie cups with M&Ms and enjoy!