Candy Cookies in a Jar is a recipe for cookie mix that is filled with lots of goodies and decoratively arranged in a jar. These are fun and easy to make, plus they make great gifts for the Holidays. This particular recipe is for Chocolate M&M Cookies, but any cookie recipe could be used following the same layering concept.
With the Holidays quickly approaching, some blogger friends and I thought it would be fun to share some cooking-related handmade gifts. If you find yourself buying more and more gift cards each year, then these gift ideas are for you! We have covered the bases to create a wide variety of gifts that are unique, easy and fun to make for your friends, neighbors, the person who has everything and that person who you just have no idea what to buy for them! Plus there is an awesome giveaway too!
Adam and I spent a fun afternoon pouring flour and sugar, as well as spooning goodies, into a jar to make gifts for his cooking class teachers. Talk about the perfect gift!
Then we sealed up the jar, added a bow and included an instruction card for how to make the ‘Candy Cookies’ from the jar.
For the recipient, making the cookies is quite simple. Just add butter, an egg and vanilla, mix it all together, drop dough onto prepared cookie sheet and bake! You could even make and gift some homemade vanilla while you’re at it.
A trick we discovered for filling the jars was to put each powdery layer (so flour, cocoa, sugars) on a piece of waxed paper (or parchment would work too) to neatly funnel each layer into the jar. Then with a rubber spatula and a small glass (or baby food jar), pack down and smooth each layer before adding the next ingredient. The result is a lovely jar filled with a tasty cookie mix for ‘Candy Cookies.’
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup candy-coated candies (such as M&Ms)
- 1 quart wire bale air seal glass jar, washed and dried completely
- ribbon, or other decoration
- note cards with instructions
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt. Pour onto waxed paper and funnel into jar and firmly pack it down into an even layer, using a silicone spatula, the bottom of a glass, back of a spoon, whatever works.
- Pour brown sugar into jar and firmly pack it down into an even layer.
- Pour granulated sugar onto waxed paper and funnel into an even layer in jar.
- In another small bowl, whisk remaining ¾ cup flour and cocoa powder. Pour onto waxed paper and funnel evenly into jar.
- Add layer of chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Seal jar and decorate as desired. Include the directions listed in the Notes below.
I was not compensated for this post, however Freund Container supplied me with a case of jars/bottles for making this project. All opinions are my own.