Bring on Fall with this easy recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins! They are light and moist, made with buttermilk, pumpkin and chocolate chips.
Fall is my favorite baking season. I love all the fun apple recipes and pumpkin recipes, making old favorites and trying new recipes. These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a wonderful, easy recipe to kick off pumpkin season! When I came up with this recipe, I wanted something simple, similar to my Banana Buttermilk Muffins. These recipes use common pantry ingredients, so they’re easy to make any time.
Because I love baking with buttermilk, and also use it frequently in pancakes or waffles, I always have a large carton of buttermilk in my refrigerator. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own! To make a buttermilk substitute, simply add lemon juice or plain old white vinegar to regular milk, let it sit for 5 minutes and voila – a buttermilk substitute! Generally I use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (or vinegar) to ~ 1 cup milk (you will use just shy of 1 cup so the tablespoon of acid brings you to a cup).
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line 12 standard muffin tin with paper liners (or spray with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk buttermilk, pumpkin, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, gently folding until combined. Stir in ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among prepare muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over tops of muffins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and the remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Other Favorite Pumpkin Recipes: