Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a moist, chocolaty bread made with zucchini and a delicious way to use up all of that zucchini taking over your garden!
I love the entire season of summer produce, from the abundance of berries and herbs, to everything in between. However what I really look forward to is the end of summer produce. Mainly…zucchini! All summer long I compile zucchini recipes in anticipation of the great bounty of summer squash.
Last year I attempted a Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe, also in Bundt cake form. I used the last of the zucchini I had to make it and was so excited. After having made Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes, I appreciated the deliciousness of the chocolate-zucchini combination. Unfortunately, that recipe was a bust! The bread tasted fine, but the overall product just wasn’t good enough. So I have been waiting all year to attempt another recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
I am happy to report this recipe is an absolute winner! It is a quick and easy recipe to make. It is perfectly chocolaty with a nice texture to the bread. The zucchini is barely noticeable. It adds moisture to the bread, but otherwise you really can’t tell. If you look very closely, you might be able to see tiny green flecks (If that’s a problem, you could always peel your zucchini before grating it).
The original recipe made this bread in two 8×4-inch loaf pans. I am always looking for an excuse to use my Bundt pan, and it worked nicely with this recipe. This Chocolate Zucchini Bread is absolutely perfect as-is, but if you were so inclined, a chocolate glaze drizzled over the top would be rather tasty as well.
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients, until blended. Stir zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.