Chocolate Banana Brownies are so rich and fudgy, you would never guess they are low in fat (and can be made vegan)!
I’ve been on a bit of a brownie kick lately and found myself choosing between three different brownies recipes to share with you today. These Chocolate Banana Brownies were at the top of the list. A brownie that is so rich and fudgy, you would never guess it’s low in fat (and can be made vegan)? Yes please!
The addition of bananas not only puts a tasty twist on these brownies, but it also helps reduce some of the added fat. There are also no eggs in this recipe. Changes from the original recipe include using whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose (either one works fine, I just wanted a whole wheat brownie) and using brown sugar instead of granulated, because I love the flavor brown sugar adds to baked goods. Use your favorite non-dairy milk and non-dairy chocolate chips, and you have a delicious vegan dessert that everybody will love!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (2-3, depending on size)
- ¼ cup milk (use soy or almond for vegan)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy-free for vegan)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir bananas, milk, oil, and vanilla until well-blended.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture, gently stirring until just combined. Add chocolate chips, folding gently.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Be careful not to over bake, otherwise the brownie may not be as fudgy). Move pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into squares to serve.
Have more overripe bananas? Here are some other healthy, easy recipes to try: