Healthy Chocolate Coconut Truffles have the delicious flavors of dark chocolate and coconut…all coming in around 60 calories and without any added sugar of fat. They are made using only 3 main ingredients (plus an optional ingredient which helps to deepen and intensify the chocolate flavor). Even better – they take only minutes to make. Intrigued? I certainly was when I first found the recipe but it took me over 9 months to make them. I am kicking myself that it took so long…they are so amazingly good!
Thankfully, it is time again for the second installment of the Eating the Alphabet Challenge, hosted by Brenda of Meal Planning Magic. Participating in this challenge was the extra push I needed to make these truffles. This month we’re featuring healthy recipes using fruits, vegetables, grains or legumes that start with letters C or D. Since Healthy Chocolate Coconut Truffles feature both coconut and dates, I’ve got both letters covered this month.
- 8 ounces pitted dates (approx 1½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened flaked coconut, for rolling
- Put dates, cocoa, 3 tablespoons coconut and espresso powder in a food processor and puree until smooth. If mixture is too dry, add water by the teaspoonful (I needed about 3 teaspoons). If mixture becomes too wet, add more unsweetened coconut.
- Scoop mixture by the tablespoonful and form 1-inch balls. Roll balls in remaining coconut.
- Chill/store in refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
Source: Bon Appetit, June, 2012