I found this recipe for Chipotle-Glazed Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes during a sleepless night over the summer. While it sounded absolutely delicious, it didn’t quite scream “summer” to me…so I saved it for a more seasonably appropriate time. After many months of anticipation, I am happy to report this recipe was definitely worth the wait!
First you give the potatoes a head start by cooking them until they start to get tender. The timing on this may vary based on the size you cut your potatoes or your oven, but unless you like crunchy potatoes, this step is key to the success of the recipe. Meanwhile, you can whip up the sauce/rub and prepare the chicken. Then you just put the chicken on top of the potatoes and pop it in the oven to bake until the chicken is done. This recipe really could not be any simpler. The result is a light and healthy dish that is sweet, spicy and delicious!
- 2 sweet potatoes (10 ounces each) cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 4 4-ounce portions
- 2-3 green onions, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a roasting or baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and pour in the bottom of roasting/baking pan. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes (tossing after 10 minutes), until potatoes being to get tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine chiles, garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Rub mixture over chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts on top of sweet potatoes and roast until chicken is cooked thoroughly, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with green onions.
Adapted from Fitness Magazine