This is my favorite recipe for Chewy Ginger Cookies. They are soft, chewy, with warm flavors of ginger and molasses, plus they take 10 minutes to prepare!
When it comes to holiday baking, I enjoy trying new recipes, but I also like to have some go-to recipes. Standby recipes that are guaranteed to be crowd pleasers and are easy to make. For years, I have been trying to find that special recipe for a ginger cookies. These Chewy Ginger Cookies are the top contender for becoming that special recipe. They are super soft and chewy with the warm flavors of ginger and molasses in each bite. The dough takes less than 10 minutes to make, which is always a bonus!
This marks the final week of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Mom. Be sure to check out the thumbnails at the bottom of this post for more delicious holiday treats!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- Additional sugar, for rolling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix molasses and water in a liquid measuring cup, and stir until combined (Note: you may need to stir again before adding to butter mixture).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until combined. Beating on low, alternately add flour mixture and molasses mixture to the butter mixture, until fully combined. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll a rounded tablespoonful of dough into a ball and then roll the ball in granulated sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are set (be careful not to overbake). Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Slightly adapted from Taste of Home: Best Loved Cookies and Bars
We are to Week #12 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop.