So I had a different treat to share with you today, but after making these Peppermint Twist Kiss Cookies the other treat got bumped to another day. Peppermint Twist Kiss Cookies are tasty, fun and festive…perfect for this time of year! The red and white cookie is a light-tasting peppermint butter cookie, and then topped with a chocolate kiss.
After a test batch, I determined it necessary to make the cookie base a little larger. Based on the amount from the original recipe, the cookie was too small, and the kiss dominated the cookie. By making the cookie slightly larger, the cookie to kiss ratio was perfected. These are by far my new favorite holiday cookie. They would make an adorable and delicious addition to any holiday cookie platter.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 8 drops red food coloring, adjust amount to desired color
- 24 milk chocolate Hershey's Kisses
- additional granulated sugar, for rolling
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk, peppermint and vanilla extracts, and beat until well blended.
- Gradually flour to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Tint one portion red. Divide each half into 4 portions (I made 4 balls of each color, and stored them in separate containers). Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Take dough out of refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Shape each ball of dough into a 9-inch log. Place one red log next to a white log, twist gently and then roll to make one swirled log. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cut each log into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then roll the ball in granulated sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly with bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each cookie with a Hershey's Kiss candy, pressing down gently (small cracks may form). Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer. golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Slightly adapted from Taste of Home: Best Loved Cookies and Bars
We are already to week #11of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop. And if you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us.