My grandma was always impressive in the kitchen, especially with her holiday treats. This recipe she created for Caramel Bars is no exception! Most caramel bars I’ve had have been underwhelming and have had a relatively stiff caramel layer in the center. So is not the case with these Caramel Bars. The caramel layer is gooey, melty and wonderful. The oat crust and crumbly topping are simple and delicious, and the chocolate chips add some chocolate and texture. Her recipe also includes 1 cup walnuts, which I do not use. No holiday treat platter is complete without caramel bars!
Grandma’s Caramel Bars
Serves: 3 to 4 dozen bars, depending on size
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick oats work fine)
- 1 cup butter, softened (I use light butter)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce package caramels
- ⅓ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, put the flour, oats, butter, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Using an electric mixer on low (I use a hand mixer), slowly beat in the butter until combined, moist, and pea-sized crumbs form. Press ½ of mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly melt caramels and evaporated milk over a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water), stirring frequently.
- Once crust is done, pour caramel mixture over crust. Sprinkle chocolate chips (and walnuts, if using) over caramel. Crumble remaining oat mixture over caramel and chocolate chips. Bake for 12 minutes and move to a wire rack to cool completely.
We are already to week #10 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted by Meal Planning Magic. Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop. And if you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us.