Sunny Blossoms are a peanut-free twist on the classic cookie. While Peanut Blossoms are always a favorite, the need for peanut-free treats are becoming more common. So in an effort to make a peanut-free alternative, enter Sunny Blossoms, made with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter. I used my grandma’s recipe as a base and went from there. Being the peanut butter diehard that I am, I wasn’t sure what to expect. While it is obviously not peanut butter, they still taste really good! Mike loved them as well and noted the next day they tasted almost peanut-y. Sunflower seed butter is mild enough to not overpower the cookie. Frankly if you put chocolate with anything, it’s going to be good!
Time sure flies! We are to Week 7 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats! We all know that no holiday cookie platter is complete without some form of a ‘blossom’ cookie. Not only are they tasty, but they are so darn cute with the Hershey’s Kiss in the middle! Sunny Blossoms offer a delicious, peanut-free alternative.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter (I used light butter)
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- granulated sugar, for rolling
- 36 chocolate Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sunflower butter until blended.
- Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar to sunflower butter mixture - cream well. Add egg and vanilla - beat well.
- Blend in dry ingredients gradually (Note: I do this step by hand using a wooden spoon) and mix thoroughly. Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (Note: I typically chill overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into balls using a rounded teaspoonful for each. Roll balls in granulated sugar and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each cookie with a Hershey's Kiss candy, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge. Return to oven and bake 2 to 5 minutes longer until golden brown. Move cookies to wire rack to cool completely.