So last week was Adam’s first day of preschool. I decided to make Pumpkin Banana Muffins as a special surprise after school. Pumpkin Banana Muffins are his favorite muffin of all time, so I knew they would be a hit. He loved school and was welcomed home with his favorite treat. It is safe to say, he had the best day!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour/1 cup whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tins with baking spray and fill empty cups with water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the bananas, pumpkin, oil, eggs and vanilla, until well-blended.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture, gently folding until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes for mini muffins / 13 to 15 minutes for standard muffins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
ETA 10/19/12: I have made these several times since posting and have experimented with different flours, since white whole wheat flour isn’t an ingredient I always have on hand. All whole wheat pastry flour works really well, and the recipe has been updated below accordingly.
Source: Pumpkin Banana Bread