Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders are made with simple pantry ingredients, and because they are so delicious and easy, they have become a fixture in our dinner rotation. The seasoned flour gives an interesting boost of flavor to these otherwise basic baked chicken tenders. It also is a nice complement to the hot and spicy buffalo sauce. While either buttermilk or egg whites work great for moistening the chicken before breading, I tend to prefer the tang from the buttermilk. The buffalo sauce makes a modest amount to contribute the spicy buffalo flavor without excess, thus making it a bit lighter. The result is a spicy buffalo baked chicken dish that is as delicious as it is easy. The recipe also halves easily, making a simple dinner for 2. I enjoy my buffalo chicken plain, but it is also delicious served with your favorite side of blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk OR 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound chicken tenders OR boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place a wire rack on rimmed baking sheet (optional). Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and salt.
- Put buttermilk (or egg whites) and breadcrumbs, each in separate shallow bowls.
- Working with one tender at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, then dip in buttermilk and then toss with bread crumbs, making sure chicken is coated, and then place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tenders.
- Spray tops of chicken with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Meanwhile, whisk the hot sauce and butter until combined. Once chicken is done, remove from oven and drizzle with hot sauce mixture, making sure to flip to get both sides.. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Food.com