We recently picked up several pounds of strawberries from a local farm, and I’m chipping away at my long list of things to make. At the top of the list was pancakes, but not just any strawberry pancakes… Strawberry Banana Pancakes! I searched online for inspiration and found nothing, so I decided to just make something up. I took my standard pancake base recipe, combined it with my Strawberry Vanilla Pancakes and added some banana. The result is a Strawberry Banana Pancake made with a buttermilk pancake base, a good dose of vanilla, and a generous amount of chopped strawberries and mashed bananas. Such a delicious combination!
I never thought my little Adam would ever love any pancake more than Cottage Cheese Pancakes. Well, after making these Strawberry Banana Pancakes, I stand corrected. He devoured 4 pancakes with impressive speed and has been asking about them ever since.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 mashed bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cooking spray or addtional oil, for pan
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, oil and mashed bananas until well-blended.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring gently until just moistened (batter may be lumpy) and then fold in strawberries. Let batter sit for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat nonstick skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter onto skillet by the 2 tablespoonfuls to ¼ cupful, depending on desired size. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until bubbles form and the edges look set. Flip pancakes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.