Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread is a moist banana bread with a chocolate swirl. The addition of chocolate to the classic comfort food of banana bread is not only delicious but it’s pretty too!
Truth be told, the first time I made this bread, the result was less than stellar. The bread was pretty, and it tasted okay, but texture was off. It was dense and chewy, not quite the light and fluffy texture I look for in a banana bread. And actually come to think of it, even though it tasted good, it didn’t taste like banana bread. Clearly, this recipe was in desperate need of a do-over!
Thankfully Frigidaire is encouraging folks to share do-over moments, which gave me the extra push I needed to try again. I never like wasting ingredients on an unsuccessful recipe, but I loved the concept of the chocolate swirl in banana bread. So I took the original recipe and gave it a makeover.
I made several tweaks, such as using buttermilk instead of yogurt, oil instead of butter and eggs instead of egg substitute. I also added some vanilla and a few extra chocolate chips on top. Then…I crossed my fingers!
A little over an hour later, the results of this do-over were in. The bread rose nicely, had the perfect banana bread texture, and the chocolate swirl was harmonious with the banana bread. This is exactly what Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread should be like! I look forward to making this recipe again and again, and I thank Frigidaire for this do-over opportunity!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Additional mini chocolate chips, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8½ x 4¼ inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium until blended (about 1 minute). Add banana, egg, buttermilk and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture, gently stirring batter until just moist.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute (on high) or until almost melted. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds, if needed. Stir until smooth and let cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup batter to the chocolate, stirring until well combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan, alternating between plain batter and chocolate batter. Swirl batters together using a knife. Sprinkle top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack and the remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Frigidaire. When you share your own do-over moment at Facebook.com/Frigidaire, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children’s U.S. programs. Plus, Frigidaire will help cover the costs for one lucky visitor to win the ultimate do-over.