Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese is a delicious, cheesy, veggie-filled baked pasta with a Mexican twist. It is made with three different cheeses (yum!) and lots of vegetables (yum!). The chipotle chiles add a nice smokiness and spice which, along with the chili powder, balance nicely with the tomatoes and cheeses. Black beans give a protein and fiber boost while adding a nice color contrast to the rest of the dish. A traditional breadcrumb topping is sprinkled over the top before baking.
- 2 cups dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or other short pasta)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, including juices
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle chiles)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chiles, onion, and bell pepper, and cook 4 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with flour and chili powder, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Add adobo sauce, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk, Parmesan and egg, stirring until combined and cheese is melted. Add cooked pasta and black beans, stirring until combined.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Pour pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Adapted from Cooking Light