These Carrot Cake Pancakes are made using whole wheat flour, buttermilk, and 2 full cups of shredded carrots. There is a touch of brown sugar to give a little sweetness. While these pancakes are delicious plain (Adam’s preferred way to eat them), I decided to dress them up a little a cream cheese drizzle. Either way is excellent. Pineapple, or whatever your favorite topping, would also be tasty. Enjoy this little taste of spring!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded (about 3 to 4 carrots)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or raisins (optional)
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces neufachtel cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tablespoons skim milk (suggested amount; adjust to desired consistency)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and gently stir until blended. Fold in carrots (and nuts/raisins, if using). Let batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour batter onto griddle (2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup, depending on desired size of pancakes). Flip pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Cook the other side until set (about 2 minutes). Serve warm with Cream Cheese Drizzle (optional).
- Cream Cheese Drizzle: beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk until well-blended. Add milk by the tablespoonful, adjusting to desired consistency).
This post was sponsored by Frigidaire. When you check out Suzanne Goin’s springtime recipes at www.maketimeforchange.com, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children’s U.S. programs. Plus, you’ll be entered for a chance to win the new Frigidaire Range with SymmetryTM Double Ovens – featuring two large ovens (thatcan each fit up to a 28 pound turkey!), providing the flexibility to cook multiple dishes at the same time at different temperatures, so you can get more on the table at the same time.