After the first time I made these, all my little Adam could talk about for days were Carrot Cake Pancakes. He wanted them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And I can’t blame him really. These pancakes taste like having carrot cake for breakfast (or lunch or dinner),…just a whole lot healthier!
These Carrot Cake Pancakes are made using whole wheat flour, buttermilk, and 2 full cups of shredded carrots. There is a touch of brown sugar to give a little sweetness. While these pancakes are delicious plain (Adam’s preferred way to eat them), I decided to dress them up a little a cream cheese drizzle. Either way is excellent. Pineapple, or whatever your favorite topping, would also be tasty. Enjoy this little taste of spring!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded (about 3 to 4 carrots)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or raisins (optional)
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces neufachtel cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tablespoons skim milk (suggested amount; adjust to desired consistency)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and gently stir until blended. Fold in carrots (and nuts/raisins, if using). Let batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour batter onto griddle (2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup, depending on desired size of pancakes). Flip pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Cook the other side until set (about 2 minutes). Serve warm with Cream Cheese Drizzle (optional).
- Cream Cheese Drizzle: beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk until well-blended. Add milk by the tablespoonful, adjusting to desired consistency).
Inspired by Cooking Light
This post was sponsored by Frigidaire. When you check out Suzanne Goin’s springtime recipes at www.maketimeforchange.com, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children’s U.S. programs. Plus, you’ll be entered for a chance to win the new Frigidaire Range with SymmetryTM Double Ovens – featuring two large ovens (thatcan each fit up to a 28 pound turkey!), providing the flexibility to cook multiple dishes at the same time at different temperatures, so you can get more on the table at the same time.