Like most people it seems, I am always on the look out for healthy, easy and delicious ways to cook chicken. This Lighter Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is all of the above, is figure-friendly, family-friendly, and also easily halved to yield 2 servings.
No oil or butter helps make this a lighter and healthier version of a breaded chicken. Chicken breast cutlets, or tenders, are dipped in an egg white and honey mustard mixture and then “breaded” with crushed pretzels. A little cheese helps the pretzels adhere, and some seasoning rounds out the flavors quite nicely. Served with a side salad or crudites, Lighter Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is as good, and good for you, as it is easy, and comes in around 200 calories. Enjoy!
- 4 4-ounce chicken breast cutlets (about ¼" thickness) or 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1½ cups pretzels, crushed (yields approx. 1 cup)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites and honey mustard.
- In another shallow bowl, mix pretzels, cheese, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Dip a chicken breast in egg mixture. Then dip the chicken in the pretzel mixture, pressing the coating to help it adhere and making sure both sides get well-coated. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spray tops of chicken lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until pretzel coating is browned and chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve immediately.