With the wonderful citrus bounty upon us, over the next few weeks I will be sharing several recipes using citrus fruits. In the meantime, grab those lemons and give these muffins a try!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the ricotta, water, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, egg, and vanilla until blended.
- Fold the ricotta mixture into the flour mixture until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins sit in pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Cooking Light