A couple weeks ago, I enjoyed another Happy Magazine Day with the arrival of Cooking Light’s September, 2011 issue. When I saw ‘Light Brownies’ featured on the cover, I was intrigued. When I saw Peanut Butter Cup Blondies, I could not race to the store fast enough to pick up peanut butter cups!
Chewy, peanut buttery, peanut butter cuppy, and oh so good, these bars are simply dreamy. I adjusted the serving size from 20 to 16. They are substantial enough to feel like you’re getting a big treat, yet they still come in under 200 calories per bar. Not bad!
Peanut Butter Cup Blondies
Yields 16 servings
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt (if using).
- In a separate medium bowl, stir to combine the peanut butter, butter, milk, vanilla and eggs.
- Add peanut butter mixture to dry ingredients, and gently stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips until combined (do not over mix).
- Pour batter in prepared baking dish. Arrange peanut butter cups over batter.
- Bake for 19 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Adapted from Cooking Light